What is tongue thrust?
A tongue thrust is a condition where the tongue rests incorrectly (e.g. between the teeth) or moves forward during a swallow. The result is that the tongue pushes against or protrudes between the upper and lower teeth.
Some common indicators of a tongue thrust include:
- an open bite
- poor teeth alignment
- poor muscle tone in the lips and cheeks
- an open mouth resting posture during the day and/or at night
- a tongue that you can see resting between the teet
- difficulties saying "s, z, t or d" sounds
- excessive lip licking or drooling